Currently the NEST thermostat is only available in the USA and Canada. But is it possible to install the Thermostat in also on the other site of the ocean? Recently the distribution was extended to the UK also, but on mainland Europe there is no official support.
Nevertheless it is possible to install the NEST thermostat in the rest of Europe. With the update to NEST software version 4.0 it is now possible to set postal codes in Europe. With this setting time zones are set correctly. More info on the update can be found here.
Citation from the Nest Homepage:
International time and weatherThe Nest Thermostat’s 4.0 software update also includes international support for weather, timezones, and daylight saving for the following countries (in addition to the U.S. and Canada):
Customers in these countries will now be able to enter their postcode during setup, and the Nest Thermostat will automatically set the correct time zone and weather for their home. Both the Nest apps and the Nest Thermostat can be used in English, French and Spanish and use either ºF or ºC.
How to get the device?
- Check with our heating manufacturer to make sure the configuration (thermostat cables) described later works.
- By the NEST thermostat on amazon or somewhere on the web,
- Buy an ICY power converter for powering the thermostat.
Installation of the device:
- Demount the old thermostat and free the wires.
- Connect that wire to the "thermostat"-end of the ICY converter
- Get yourself another cable to connect the boilder to the other "CV"-end of ICY converter.
- Remove the old thermostat and place the NEST thermostat on the same location.
- Connect both cable ends to the W1 en Rh connectors (if the NEST gives an error, try switching these 2 cables)
- Et voila! NEST is setup at your home.
(The installation is done by your own risk)